In 1909 the Scottish Rite bodies purchased land at E. 14th Avenue & Grant Street, with the hopes of building in the future.
On December 18, 1922, Special Officer Charles T. Linton was shot and killed at 10:30 am during a robbery of a Federal Reserve Bank truck in front of the United States Mint in Denver, Colorado. As Officer Linton and other employees transferred the money from the Mint into a truck a vehicle pulled alongside them. An occupant of the vehicle announced a holdup and immediately opened fire, striking Officer Linton in the abdomen as he attempted to lock the money in the truck's safe. An alarm was sounded in the Mint and members of the Mint Police and other Federal Reserve Bank officers engaged the suspects in a shootout for several minutes. The suspects were able to escape with $200,000 in five dollar bills. The leader of the gang was shot and killed as the getaway car drove away. His body was found in the abandoned getaway car in a garage later in the day. The other four suspects were never apprehended. Officer Linton had served with the agency for 4 years and had previously served with the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office for more than 26 years. He was survived by his wife and two sons and is buried at Crown Hill Cemetery in Wheat Ridge, Colorado.
Officer Linton had a long and illustrious career in Colorado. He had served with the Arapahoe County Sheriff Dept. during the last decades of the 19th century, when he arrested Doc Holliday on a downtown Denver street corner, for the murder of Frank Stilwell, from the O.K. Corral shootout. Bat Masterson helped Holliday beat the charge. (Masterson later also served as Arapahoe Deputy in the 1890's) Officer Linton also served at various times on the Denver Police Department, as well as the newly formed Denver Sheriff Department (after 1902) as late as 1914. He served his community well, honorably, and died in the performance of his duties.
Charles T. Linton was the son of Thomas Linton, the first Tiler of Scottish Rite Masons in Colorado.
On March 20, 1924 the cornerstone “of the Colorado Consistory Building” was laid at 1370 Grant Street (our current location) and construction began.
May 7, 1925 Members marched from 1614 Welton to 1370 Grant for their first meeting in new building.
May 14, 1925 Sovereign Grand Commander John H. Cowles dedicated the Colorado Consistory Building.
During 1928 El Jebel Shrine purchased the 193 acre Rocky Mountain Country Club and constructed a new mosque at 4625 W. 50th Ave., which was dedicated and occupied in November 1929.
December 21, 1941 Grand Junction Consistory began.
February 3, 1953 Scottish Rite Foundation incorporated in Colorado.
January 10, 1971 Explosion blew out east side of building.
September 21, 1992 First meeting of merged Colorado Consistory and Rocky Mountain Consistory as Denver Consistory.